Hugo Asselin holds a B.Sc. in biology with a speciality in ecology from Sherbrooke University (1997), a M.Sc. in biological sciences (forest ecology) from Montreal University (1999), and a Ph.D. in biology (palaeoecology) from Laval University (2005). He was postdoctoral fellow in palaeoecology at UQAT between 2004 and 2007, before joining the department of humanities and social development as a professor. Since 2008, he holds the Canada Research Chair in Aboriginal Forestry. He is also a member of the Centre for Forest Research (CFR), Aboriginal Peoples Research and Knowledge Network (DIALOG), Interuniversity Centre for Aboriginal Studies and Research (CIÉRA), Territorial Development Research Centre (CRDT), and UQAT's Forest Research Institute. His research interests focus on social and aboriginal forestry, forest ecology, palaeoecology, dendrochronology and anthracology. >Research orientation
- 1. Identify, document, and explain the social, cultural, economical, political, and environmental challenges faced by aboriginal communities as a result of forest management activities taking place on ancestral territories, and suggest and experiment original approaches to help aboriginal communities face these challenges.
- 2. Document and give value to traditional knowledge related to forest issues.
- 3. Reconstruct the holocene dynamics of boreal forest ecosystems as a response to climate change and natural and anthropogenic disturbances.
M.Sc. and Ph.D. positions available
I am often looking for M.Sc. and Ph.D. students to work on social and aboriginal forestry, forest ecology, and palaeoecology. Please check my personal website for further information.
Email : hugo.asselin[at]uqat.ca
Publications : (see complete list)
- Dhital Nayaran, Frédérick Raulier, Hugo Asselin, Louis Imbeau, Osvaldo Valeria, Nicolas Bergeron, 2013. Emulating boreal forest disturbance dynamics: Can we maintain
timber supply, aboriginal land use, and woodland caribou habitat? For. Chron. 89(1):54-65 DOI:10.5558/tfc2013-011
- Guillaume de Lafontaine, Hugo Asselin, 2012. Soil charcoal stability over the Holocene across boreal northeastern North America Quaternary Research 76(2):196-200 DOI:10.1016/j.yqres.2011.06.006
- Guillaume de Lafontaine, Hugo Asselin, 2012. Soil charcoal stability over the Holocene—Response to comments by Mikael Ohlson Quaternary Research 78(1):155-156 DOI:10.1016/j.yqres.2012.03.008
- Yadav Uprety, Hugo Asselin, Yves Bergeron, Frédérick Doyon, Jean-François Boucher, 2012. Contribution of traditional knowledge to ecological restoration: Practices and applications Ecoscience 19(3):225-237 DOI:10.2980/19-3-3530
- Yadav Uprety, Ram C. Poudel, Hugo Asselin, Emmanuel Boon, 2010. Plant biodiversity and ethnobotany inside the projected impact area of the Upper Seti Hydropower Project, Western Nepal. Environment, Development and Sustainability. DOI:10.1007/s10668-010-9271-7
- Yadav Uprety, Hugo Asselin, Emmanuel K. Boon, Saroj Yadav, Krishna K. Shrestha, 2010. Indigenous use and bio-efficacy of medicinal plants in the Rasuwa District, Central Nepal. Journal of Ethnobiology and Ethnomedicine 6:3 DOI:10.1186/1746-4269-6-3